danger of death

What is an electric shock?

An electric shock happens when a person touches an electrical energy source. Electrical current flowing through a part of the body will cause a shock.

What is electrocution?

Electrocution is death caused by electric shock.

Effects of an electric shock

Shock from current at low voltage: your blood pressure could rise or fall, your pulse gets faster, you may have difficulty breathing, you could lose consciousness and you may suffer a heart attack. You could also receive burns at the point the electricity enters and leaves your body on the way to the ground.

Shock from current at high voltage: this is always likely to cause death by electrocution.

What to do?

What to do if someone gets an electric shock?

  • Never touch the person receiving the electric shock until the electricity is switched off and you are sure it is safe to do so.
  • Danger: If you touch them, you could get an electric shock or be electrocuted yourself.
  • Action: Shout for a grown up to help

If the injured person is CONSCIOUS and seems unharmed, he/she should be told to rest.

If in doubt, call a doctor.

If the injured person is UNCONSCIOUS, open the airway and check breathing; be ready to resuscitate if necessary. Place the casualty in the recovery position and Dial 999 for an ambulance.